March 14ths

3/14/1998

Stopped by Village Theater to see Tarantino's film Jackie Brown. (Such a deal at $2.75). Typical Tarantino, replete with scenes of blood splattering against windshields. But I do like his non-linear style. Cool score of funky 1970s jazz. 

[I loved the Village. Apparently now demolished (2021)]

Showing "0"


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3/14/1999

The thing I’ve been learning about experimental procedures is that 50% of the time you have to abandon it because the results are disappointing. Every piece has a saturation point where the brain gets confused by what’s going on. but this can be interesting as well because it creates tension. 

3/14/2023
 
I’ve always championed the idea of working in series, especially in art, and I thought that would transfer over to music but it hasn’t worked that way.
 
When you work on things that have a lot of different parts, as music does, and you do an album of 12 songs and they all have 16-24 tracks, it’s hard to hold a series together. If you’re going to do a music series it has to be done within a certain amount of time where you work on it every day for many hours and you have a producer that’s adhering to the overall concept. But if you’re the producer, you have to hold it all together. A series, as one would have in visual art, is harder to do in music. Perhaps the EP is the way to go, where you have 3 songs—a “triptych” and is easier to serialize.
 
For the current album Nostalgia Galaxy I thought that I could just work on it piecemeal and that the concept would ultimately have a natural integrity.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2nds

September 30ths

Composition Strategies Game

On the Other Side of the Year

Songs With Bridges

Atomic Disease

Isomelody and Isorhythm

Harmonic Cycling