Music For Places (AI)

 

Back in the 70s, songwriters wrote about cities: Phoenix, Wichita, Galveston. This lyric wasn't a riff on that--only the rhythm of the phrase "Hotel in Carlsbad". But Baltimore and Galveston are more interesting for a potential narrative--and are 3-syllable words. I like that it remains ambiguous and suggests that it's about the devastating hurricane in 1900 and the aftermath, but it really isn't--but could be by associating images with it.  

*** 

When the rains returned
Cloud after cloud
I went back to the place 
Where the waves made a sound
The virga would fall
But I wouldn't hear a thing
I was welcomed to a world
Where the rains would begin

Hotel in Galveston
Far from African dust
A new atmosphere
Of American lust
Saw it in a noondream
Of America's bloom
It's embedded in a place
From the bust to the boom


A place tells a story
Not erased by time
It's in your hand
In the feel of a rhyme

Copyright 2026 Lee Barry. Lyric rights reserved 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2nds

Composition Strategies Game

September 30ths

On the Other Side of the Year

Songs With Bridges

Atomic Disease

Isomelody and Isorhythm

Harmonic Cycling