June 29ths

December 29ths 

6/29/1989

(Keith Haring Journal) 

“...The computer has totally changed the whole concept of what composes and defines a “picture space.” The whole relation between the creator and the viewer has changed. The relationship between the physical gesture of drawing and the resultant image has changed....” 

[6/2025: Now you can swap out the word “computer” with “AI”. But new technologies don’t really change an artist’s practice. Warhol made one of the first computer artworks in 1986, and it didn’t change his work, nor did it change Haring’s. There have always been new advancements in tools and implements, but they don’t undermine what an artist is already doing]. 

6/29/1999

No Exit Cafe closes after 40 years.

6/29/2018

In previous eras, it was talent. Now it involves skill with using software, which also makes it easier to remix and recycle. Some people might be more talented in creating hooks, or catchy fragments that can evolve into full pieces. Personally, I have been in the habit of being observant and capturing my ideas as they arise, including title ideas or lyric fragments. After a while, you accumulate hundreds or thousands of fragments, any of which can grow into full pieces.

[6/2024: This collection process is of course assisted with software, but makes hoarding ideas easier. In my experience with the Songday system is that eventually the pile of ideas has to be shaped and produced, which is the difficult part. Also, people can be talented with software, such as with Photoshop or even Excel. They are the oldest software programs].

6/29/2023 

Apparently, an old CD-Burn of Secret Sphinx is now on YouTube courtesy of Greer Street Records. I never wanted it released even though that was a common DIY wish in the late 90s. I hate my vocals on it, although I like some of the songs and still play them on guitar or piano. I’m surprised it still played with that crappy label on it. 

6/29/2024

Dream: I was in a small town taking photographs. All I had was a small point-and-shoot and couldn’t get it to zoom or focus. All the images were junk as I scrolled through them. There was art everywhere, even in a small grocery store I went into. They were large un-stretched canvases. The paint strokes were sparse and loosely expressed--looking more like Arabic script. 

Loop for photo shooting.

Reflection from inside of a bus

Broken Windows Theory

 

6/29/2025

Even after I think a lyric is done, I’m second guessing certain lines or words and want to change them. But once something is released, it’s fixed. I like to think that it’s resolved, but you may listen to it next month and there will be something you want to change. Whenever I hear the song Bye Bye Love by The Cars, particularly the “orangey sky” lyric, I wonder if they ever second-guessed that line and wanted to change it. I’ll bet they did. But the public accepted it, and even sang along with it without being bothered by what it meant. Similarly, we read things on a daily basis, and we let it wash over us because we assume that it’s gone through the refining process, but now with AI in the loop, we have to second-guess those refinements. But like the Cars lyric, we just grow to accept it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Composition Strategies Game

January 2nds

September 30ths

A New Look at the Chicago Panels

Isomelody and Isorhythm

Hot New Earth (2026)

August 4ths

Curio No. 4 (Extended)