1/2/2005 They’re razing the old Sun-Times building in the Loop, and when I pass by it I always tune into the sound of jackhammers echoing through the empty space. [Now site of Trump Tower] Ambient Audio: [1/2/2025: Little did we know how that eponymous tower would represent the end of American democracy as we knew it. Perhaps it was always fragile and we naively thought, even after 9/11, that it would be razed]. 1/2/2007 Projects for 2007: Music For Places, Highway Cinema. [1/2/2026: Resolutions actually do work, but it can take sometimes a decade to see the results. What's important are "seeds"] 1/2/2012 James Howard Kunstler’s prediction/forecast: “Vlad Putin has held things together there impressively after the meltdown of the 1990s, but apparently the tranquil veneer is thin. Except for two big citie...
9/30/1997 Roy Lichtenstein died. His use of ads, cartoons, etc. is similar to using samples in music. Music is really mimicking what happens in the art world, but with a long lag time. 9/30/1998 Surfed the Net on collaborative information filtering idea. Lots of great links: The Game of Life, the “Serendip” page. Must revisit. [9/30/2024: This was the beginning of what we now know as simply an “algorithm”—the black box that defines the world we experience online, and now in life in general because it is recommending our relationships and how we navigate them. It has not been good for society or democracy because it is about collectivism as opposed to community. Viktor Frankl: “Only the community can ensure the meaning of individuality for the individuals…only the safeguarding of individuality for the individuals can ensure the meaning of community. This is what distingu...
[View Gallery] The first images are photos of the TV that I took as I was watching various commemorations and footage of the event. When I got downtown, I started taking pictures of buildings that serve as a snapshot memory. On 911, they had closed the office at about 10:30 and I started to walk around to take photos. I had gotten my first camera about a month before, and I wasn't completely familiar with it, so most of the photos were overexposed. Later on I inverted them, which is a look that I liked. So I thought that I would take overexposed pictures and then invert them in the same fashion.
My first AI jazz album using digitized cassette demos from the late 80s and early 90s. Most of it was never performed. or if it was, the performances were mediocre and not recorded well. The "restorations" are akin to the restorations of old films or recordings on 78s. The model (v4.5) sounds less than optimal (and better than v6), and interestingly has a warbly cassette sound, so it inherits the imperfections of the medium. The corollary with vinyl would be that the restorations would include crackles and pops. The lo-fi quality actually gives it a faux-retro sound, or the sound of a live recording where the tape had degraded. To do restorations in a more musical way, you would let Suno create provisional versions from digitized tape, then transcribe them in some form to a MIDI file, and then use the audio file from that to create the final. Be Bach : The original recording was me playing the bass melody, but the horns play it on the AI gen. Suno filled out the arrangement...
There was an interesting study that was done a few years ago on the complexity of lyrics. But there’s a difference between those who write scientific papers about lyrics and those who actually write and sing them, which has an interesting connection with AI-generation of songs where the “singers” are just LLMs shuffling patterns to match riffs. When I work on a lyric, I’m focusing on how the quality of words to be used musically, especially at the rhythmic level. How syllables are mapped over note values is crucial. I think lyrics should be as economical as possible, which is the issue with translations from English because you’re “deracinating” the natural speech rhythms. With the Esperanto lyrics, the music sounds fine on its own with the vocals just being another instrument. If you don’t understand the words, then it’s essentially an instrumental. Most people don't tune into lyrics. The music is most important on first hearing, but lyrics can soak in over time.
Comments
Post a Comment