Camera Ion (Some October)

 



Working Mixes/October Tracks:

10/8/2023

The four new guitar tracks push it in another direction. The organ parts make it sound fairly R&B. The other versions are drastically different. 

I also stumbled on a happy accident: I took some of the tracks and placed just an F-natural against the whole thing and there were interesting dissonances. I placed some of the same guitar parts against it and started to turn out pretty dark. While composing the string arrangement I used some of those figures as well like some of the the cello and bass parts against it. It sounds pretty sinister actually. What was most interesting was that it happened on the day after the Hamas invasion. I thought it was very appropriate, but generally, I don't do political work, but if I'm in the right hemisphere (as it were) I'm more apt to not dismiss that kind of thing. It's not that I'm forcing it--it's just that it's in the back of my mind and so I'm more able to let that kind of stuff through. I was reminded of the work of Scott Walker whose post-pop avant-garde work was better than what he was ever popular for. 

I like the balance between the left and right hemisphere as I'm integrating all the early stuff from the initial sessions where I was just playing with sounds. All those (right brain) experiments are still in there but so is the (left brain) structure. It's really a great way of working across the corpus callosum by way of metaphor--sort of like Andy Partridge, who I believe is a synesthete.

Comments

Popular Posts