Threads (1997)

 

I know this might seem maudlin, but it's fitting for our time. The first verse was actually inspired by magnet poetry, which I used in the studio to generate lyric ideas. The genesis was random, but a deeper meaning was revealed. I found the Melville quote much later, which fit perfectly. 
 
We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results. - Herman Melville  


Threads by meta4s

 

I fish for answers to questions
Floating in the salty seas
Soon to be devoured
By the hungry ocean waves

Exploring the dark cloud of yesterday
That hangs above my head
No silver lining or gold lame
Only frayed and hanging threads

Threads will take me places
Where every soul is strange
Looking puzzled at the faces
Not connected with any name
Always looking through the veil
Obscuring what is real
What I seek I find again
Such a bargain, such a steal

The road goes on forever
Sometimes it's a maze
It brings me back to the place I love
Like a repeating favorite phrase
Hot rubber spins the gravel
On the highway to the sea
Where I go to find the answer
How my life must truly be

Threads will weave the fabric
To keep our bodies warm
Cut from the same cloth
As the day we were born
But bias and prejudice
Is so dyed in the wool
Now will not help us
When the glass is not so full

Threads will take us places
We've never been before
Tying all our thoughts together
Like they've never been tied before
But threads will also bundle
Into nasty little knots
A reminder of the prospect
Of the danger we forgot

Threads will hold us together
Threads will keep us from falling apart
Threads will hold us together
Threads will hold us together
Threads
 

***

The Recorded Version 

Comments

Popular Posts