Every Building on the Sunset Strip

This track is based on the photo series and book of the same title by Ed Ruscha.

Left and Right are the orientations out a car window and would be hard-panned/antiphonal in the recording.

The genesis of the piece was from singing the title as if it was a chorus, then played all minor chords against it for a somewhat "Bond" vibe, with a music production at that time (1966), with a AM radio compressed sound. It's the shortest pop song I've ever written at 1:48, and even has a middle-8. 


The numbers recited at the beginning are text-to-speech, a kind of anachronism because obviously it didn't exist then. I chose British voices because I wanted an Avengers vibe (Emma Peel/John Steed) replete with sticky Cecil B. DeMille strings and french horns. At the end as an outro I did a short guitar duet (Havenhurst) based on the bridge chords which crossfades between a lofi radio sound to full stereo. Behind the guitars is a binaural field recording of traffic sound and a group of teenage girls promoting a $5 car wash at a BP station.  
 

My vlog post:


 
For Strings: Every Building On The Sunset Strip by meta4s

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2nds

September 30ths

Composition Strategies Game

On the Other Side of the Year

Curio No. 99

Isomelody and Isorhythm

Hot New Earth (2026)

Harmonic Cycling