August 8ths

On the Other Side of the Year 

8/8/1998

“Fate is a vehicle that gets you where you’re going.”  (Dynaxiom 0256)

8/8/2000

I had a dream I had visited a poet, an elderly woman about 60 years old. She was sitting on a bed with all of her incunabula scattered around her. There was one document that was dated 1942, and was a letter from a former lover. 

A cinematic treatment:

A Short (Single):

8/8/2020

Caustic Shadows: 


 [Became the cover of Some August

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 8/8/2024 

I have an eye for shadows in photography so I notice them right away. Similarly in music, I have an ear for “sound shadows” where something will coincide with something in real time, such as squeaking brakes fitting in with music that’s playing. If you don’t have a “camera” at the ready, you can’t capture them. This is how I think AI music should work—or it should be like a form of fishing: a lake is stocked with certain kinds of fish and you have to catch them. This way it becomes a sport that you like to do as opposed to ordering a fish sandwich from a website. 

Black-out lyric and riff:




AI interpretation:


 

8/8/2026

I currently see AI Music as mostly a form of entertainment and a bit of creative enrichment by writing poetry and lyrics. If somebody is using it mostly for entertainment and they're paying a monthly subscription fee of a nominal amount, what's the harm? Is it entertainment at the expense of the environment and livelihoods? Perhaps, in which case the artist has to make other choices. Is it a form of addiction, or the feeling of being on a hamster wheel to justify what you’re paying for? In the past I’ve subscribed to magazines such as Art Forum, but I never seldom read them. There should be a way to see how your AI footprint compares against people who fly frequently, drive a non-electric car, and eat meat. I never owned a car and have been a vegetarian since 1984. It's also ironic how much energy it takes and so little human effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 30ths

January 2nds

Windblown World

Be Bach (AI Version)