Dying To Connect (Some August)

 

 

What I still find remarkable every time I write songs is the evolution of them. This piece started in 2015 under another working title and went through many different phases.

My new way of working on songs is to do them in standard notation where I can work out the song arrangement in detail, then use that as a blueprint (or a very elaborate "click track") for the recording. "Dying To Connect" was a random title that I applied to it, then wrote lyrics based on it. It's about the lengths we go to stay connected--in a time where connection is ostensibly easy yet ironically more difficult as the social media landscape changes. But the sense of urgency can remain.

The found voice at the end swimming in reverb delays uses the "Amy" TTS voice:

The docking station will close in 30 minutes and we will be accepting no more passengers. Say goodbye to loved ones as soon as possible.  

I know that sounds like bleak, but when I was working on the track I lost sight that August would be the ending month. This is a "soft" concept album after all, and not a strict narrative. There's no story here at all other than a soundtrack for a year's voyage through space, with the passengers eventually coming back to earth to reconnect.


 



Dying To Connect by meta4s

Comments

Popular Posts