Formless and Timeless

One of my first "Dynaxiom Songs", music created from my running list of aphorisms begun in 1990. It's interesting how words can drive the music--sometimes just a title or line or couplet. Once I started tracking it it veered off in different directions. In this case, I abruptly modulated from A minor to Ab major in an outro vamp, which became a piece in itself--or a 70s-era jam that you could riff on for a few minutes. It's a "strobing" of two chords (A7 and Am7) in which only one note is changed: C# to C-natural, but the modes are contrasting as well: A Mixolydian, G Lydian or E minor pentatonic, to C major pentatonic. On this I actually composed the solo as if I were improvising it, but the improvisation is really in the bass using the same chord scales. 

The original lyrics are still there as a "ghost" and you could sing them somewhere in the piece, adding verses and so on. The original words were "formless and timeless", although the shape or prosody in the words suggested the form, as projected light can seem to have form.



Comments

Popular Posts