1966

 


Very often after I finish a mix I experiment with different treatments. Sometimes I arrange them for ensembles, in this case a string piece (either quartet of string orchestra), or just an outro vamp.

This is the released version--a riff on Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine in some minimal ways. That track was released in 1967, but the vibe was very mid-60s psychedelia. I noticed a shift around 1966 when songs were sounding darker and using more minor seconds, which early metal picked up on, primarily Black Sabbath. 

It's also interesting to trace its evolution: originally it started as a bluesy guitar piece, "Drugstore Prints", low-quality machine photo prints from Walgreen's, reflected in the lo-fi sound. 

Dynaxiom 1622 applies:

A piece of art or music is a touchstone for a future context. In essence, it awaits unknown connections and circumstances that might occur in the future--with meanings that the original artist might not have realized. (Always consider the effect the future will have on your work).

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2nds

September 30ths

Composition Strategies Game

Hot New Earth (2026)

Isomelody and Isorhythm

On the Other Side of the Year

Curio No. 99

A New Look at the Chicago Panels

August 4ths