Lochanilaun





A song I wrote, using the poem "Lochanilaun" by the English poet Francis Brett Young (with a few tweaks). Young also wrote the poem "Dust", which Danny Kirwan of Fleetwood Mac adapted on the album "Bare Trees." I've always loved that song for its harmonic and structural angularity, and only used just part of the poem. Very often poetry veers too far away from lyrics and shifts into art-song form, which I don't want.

MIDI Audio


This is the image of my last content:
My soul shall be a little lonely lake,
So hidden that no shadow of man may break
The folding of its mountain battlement;

Only the beautiful and innocent
Whiteness of sea-born cloud drooping [falling] to shake
Cool rain upon the reed-beds, or the wake
Of churned cloud [of a churning cloud] in a howling wind's descent. 


For there shall be no terror in the night
When stars that I have loved are born in me,
And cloudy darkness I will hold most fair;

But this shall be the end of my delight
That you, my lovely one, may stoop and see
Your image in the mirrored beauty there.


 

Comments

Popular Posts