Virga



Virga was initially conceived as an improvisation in the altered tuning E-F#-B-F# on a 1962 Jazz Bass. My experiments in this tuning so far have been with the natural harmonics, which gravitate towards extended B Major and F# Major tonalities.

Play Me

The chiming quality of the harmonics somehow suggested rain. I already had Virga on my list of titles and used it as a springboard. (Virga are the wispy sheets of rain that fall from clouds, and is an acronym for Variable Intensity Rain Gradient Aloft ).

As with all my ambient pieces, I often collage in various samples and sound files, in this case samples of held notes and field recordings.

In many ways, this has developed into what sounds like a knock-off of 'Portrait of Tracy'. This is a bit different from Jaco's piece in that while he used lower open strings and fretted notes in a bottom-up fashion, I am playing melodies on the top string, and hitting harmonics below it in a top-down fashion.

Popular posts from this blog

January 2nds

September 30ths

Composition Strategies Game

On the Other Side of the Year

Curio No. 99

Isomelody and Isorhythm

Hot New Earth (2026)